Sunday, August 10, 2008

Whats In Your...Heart?

Clint Ware: What's In Your Heart?


I.   I Can't Believe I Said That

A. Have you ever had one of those moments when you lost control of your mouth?

    ~Afterward you say to yourself, "Where did that come from?"  

    ~(I usually would not say things like that)

 B. Jesus taught  that when you speak, you reveal what is in your heart (Matt 15:18-20)

 

II.  How to Check Your Heart Condition:

 A Five  Point  Check

Remember To T H i N K

 

1. Is What I Say Timely  (Eph 5:15-16)

  A.  Take a minute and think

        - WHAT needs to be said that would be the right thing to say?

        - HOW can I say this best so that it will be received?

        - WHEN would be the best time to bring this up?

                ~ when others aren't around maybe?


2. Is What I Say True?   Eph 4:25  

  A. If you aren't sure - just don't say it

        - how much damage is done by people talking about stuff they don't really know about

        - when you say the words "I THINK..." be sure that you have, otherwise you aren't being honest

  B. Two things we should say more often:

        - "To be honest I have not given it much thought"

        - "I DON"T KNOW"


3. Is What I Say Helpful?    Eph 4:29

  A. Tearing down others is threefold folly

        1. You hurt the one spoken about without giving them opportunity to explain or defend        

2. You fill the one listening with negative feelings, thoughts, and emotions 

3. You relive and refresh the wrong or misunderstanding, giving it more life and power (In reality you end up looking the worst)                           

(No one like to be around someone who tears down others all the time)


4. Is What I Say Necessary  (Eph 4:15)   (Luke 17:3-4)    (Proverbs 27:5-6)

   A. Truth - Love =Hurt          

        - Even if you are right, if you say it without love, you are wrong

  B. Love - Truth =Sin continues (Hurt)  

        - Many times remaining silent is not loving (it is most often the easy way out)


5. Is What I Say Kind?  Thes 5:14-15

  A. Seems childish but this is a really important part of your heart check.

        - unkind words (often spoken in haste) do damage

        - not based on what others have done to us

        - not justifing meaness using the circumstances of the moment

        - we do what is right just because it is right

 

Remember To T H i N K

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home